L.A. Times Book Prizes 2012
Posted by: Cindy Dobrez and Lynn Rutan
Lynn: The finalists for this year’s Los Angeles Book Prizes were announced yesterday. The winners will be announced April 19th at 7:30 pm in the Bovard Auditorium on the USC campus. The announcement leads off the 18th Los Angeles Festival of Books, the largest public literary event in the country which will be held April 20th and 21st on the USC campus.
It was my great honor to serve as one of the three judges for the Young Adult Literature Prize along with Angelina Benedetti and Rollie Welch. Here are our finalists in alphabetical order:
Young Adult Literature
- Paolo Bacigalupi / The Drowned Cities (Little, Brown Books For Young Readers)
- A.S. King / Ask the Passengers (Little, Brown Books For Young Readers)
- Martine Leavitt / My Book of Life by Angel (Margaret Ferguson Books/Farrar Straus Giroux Books for Young Readers)
- Matthew Quick / Boy 21 (Little, Brown Books For Young Readers)
- Elizabeth Wein / Code Name Verity (Disney-Hyperion)
Congratulations to our finalists! These are all extraordinary books. Stay tuned for the winner!
Cindy: I attended the LA Festival of Books the past two years while serving on the LAT Book Prize jury and it was a fabulous literary event. Impeccably organized, full of interesting panels and stage presentations and lots of literary loot to boot. If you can get there sometime, do it! And to this year’s jury…Well Done! What a great list of finalists. Any of these can take the top prize and I’ll be happy.